Re: [IP] Islet Cells

It's true that one part of the puzzle in finding a cure for type 1 diabetes
lies in determining how to modify the immune system to not attack it's own
tissue.  If we could do this we could prevent the onset of diabetes, but
then we still have the problem of replacing glucose-responsive, insulin
producing cells in those who have already developed diabetes and this is
where developing new sources for islet cells comes in.  And many researchers
believe that stem cells (I think adult as well as embryonic and fetal) have
a natural protection that would help to keep them safe from the auto-immune