Re: [IP] Islet Cells

It's true that one part of the puzzle in finding a cure for type 1 diabetes
lies in determining how to modify the immune system to not attack it's own
tissue.  If we could do this we could prevent the onset of diabetes, but
then we still have the problem of replacing glucose-responsive, insulin
producing cells in those who have already developed diabetes and this is
where developing new sources for islet cells comes in.  And many researchers
believe that stem cells (I think adult as well as embryonic and fetal) have
a natural protection that would help to keep them safe from the auto-immune
response.

Marisa

> <<<<<<<<I need to comment about this article from The Globe.  It
> talks about the beta
> cells, or islet cells and how to 'grow' new ones or figure out how they
turn
> on and off....something like that.  Anyway, is that really the key to
> diabetes?  I mean, my understanding is that this is an auto-immune system
> where the body's own immune system has arbitrarily decided to attack its
own
> islett cells thus shutting them down and thus the need for external
resources
> of insulin.  Well, wouldn't the key factor for this be then to figure out
WHY