Re: [IP] Islet Cells

Your question is a good one, and it is one that no one knows the
answer to yet.  Mainly because at this time the bigger problem is
that the immune system recognizes any foreign tissue and attacks it,
whether beta cells or a heart.  So all those people with transplants
have to take immunosuppressive drugs.  No one knows why the immune
system first went after the beta cells.  One theory is that there was
a virus with proteins similar to those in your beta cells, and once
the virus was killed, the immune cells went after the beta cells.  Is
there still "immuno-memory" of that?  No one knows because the immune
system is going after everything foreign.  There are several
investigators trying to figue out ways of disguising cells so the
immune system can't "see" them.  Not easy, but some promising
possibiities.  Keep the faith.

<<<<<<<<I need to comment about this article from The Globe.  It
talks about the beta
cells, or islet cells and how to 'grow' new ones or figure out how they turn
on and off....something like that.  Anyway, is that really the key to
diabetes?  I mean, my understanding is that this is an auto-immune system
where the body's own immune system has arbitrarily decided to attack its own
islett cells thus shutting them down and thus the need for external resources
of insulin.  Well, wouldn't the key factor for this be then to figure out WHY
the body chose the islett cells to attack, and how to stop the immune system
from attacking its own body parts.  It would not matter whose cells were in
your body (ie; cell transplant or cloned cells) if the autoimmune system is
whacked out then those cells are not any safer than the ones you were born
with, right????  Or am I missing something.  I think the key is figuring out
the immune system and how to stop it from attacking ANY cells!!!!