Re: [IP] Islet Cells

> I need to comment about this article from The Globe.  It talks about
> the beta cells, or islet cells and how to 'grow' new ones or figure
> out how they turn on and off....something like that.  Anyway, is
> that really the key to diabetes?  I mean, my understanding is that
> this is an auto-immune system where the body's own immune system has
> arbitrarily decided to attack its own islett cells thus shutting
> them down and thus the need for external resources of insulin.
> Well, wouldn't the key factor for this be then to figure out WHY the
> body chose the islett cells to attack, and how to stop the immune
> system from attacking its own body parts.

They're working on that too. There's a vaccine trial ... I think in
Israel ... that addresses this issue. As I understand it, a type one
that has been diabetic for many years stops making the antibodies
after a while and so is eligible for vaccine therapy IF there were a
way to restore islet function. The big question for me is whether
this can be accomplished without immune suppression drugs. When they
achieve three things, there will be a true cure.
1) regenerate islets
2) do 1 with tissue the body will accept completely
3) suppress the body's urge to kill the islet cells by turning OFF
the appropriate T cell response.

Michael