[IP] Re: Overweight and Calorie intake

On 8/17/02 11:23 AM, "insulin-pumpers-digest" <email @ redacted>

> ------------------------------
> Date: Sat, 17 Aug 2002 09:32:24 -0700
> From: Fran Baumgartner <email @ redacted>
> Subject: Re: [IP] Re:  Overeating?
> At 10:03 AM 8/17/2002 -0400, you wrote:
>> At 12:27 AM 8/17/02, you wrote:
>>> Whew, and here I thought I'd get flamed for telling
>>> overweight people they ate more than than needed.
> Personally I think you should be thrown off the list for such a horrid mean
> comment.  Maybe if you had just stated it differently it wouldn't sound so
> harsh.  NOT EVERY OVERWEIGHT PERSON EATS TOO MUCH.  Until anyone else has
> walked in another persons shoes I think it would be wise to not be so damn
> mean!
> I think I speak for many woman ( I can't say man for I don't understand
> there make up ).  But as PRL states woman have a whole lot of more issues
> to deal with in trying to lose weight and age is a major factor.  I sure
> many can relate to my experience.  Prior to my accident I was a good
> weight, exercised daily, etc.  Well since the accident I have gained all
> sorts of weight and it's not because I was eating too much.  It was because
> I was stuck in bed, I was on all sorts of medications, my body was healing
> etc.  So my advice is maybe one needs to realize there are other reasons a
> person my be overweight then because they are eating to much!
> Fran

Well put, Fran!  Another point to make here is through sociological pressure
to "fit in" with the ideology of attractiveness, poor habits of weight loss
have resulted in the slowing of many people's metabolisms. We try to lose
weight too quickly and then our body speed slows down. Then, when we go back
to eating normally, the weight piles back on at a faster rate, and is doubly
hard to take off again. This is the Yo-Yo situation and is very frustrating!

It is unfortunate, but it seems it is those who have never "Been there" that
can judge so easily.

You can lead a man to knowledge, but you can9t make him think.
Jenny Sutherland