Re: [IP] closing the loop! Question

Ginny Kloth <email @ redacted> wrote:

> I have been reading how the closed loop pump would work. My questions are:
> Why would we want to have something surgically implanted in us when there
> is risk of infection?

There is some risk in any surgery, but in general a great deal of effort
goes into maintaining a sterile field.  Once the sugical wound is closed and
sealed, the chance of infection is slight as long as the wound is properly
cared for until it heals.

> And would our body try to reject this?

The case is stainless steel and the other exposed parts are the same type of
material as the cannulas we now use.  Neither of these substances is
biologically active, so there's almost no chance of an immune reaction.
Sort of like knee or hip replacements.

> How is it
> refilled with insulin and how would the basal rates and that be changed if
> something needs to be changed?

On the surface that interfaces the skin is a membrane through which the
insulin is refilled.  It's done in a way that it draws in the insulin needed
to fill it - approximately every month or two (some have said three months,
but I don't know what that would do to the potency of the insulin).

Basal rates, along with insulin to cover meals, is done automatically by the
interaction between the sensor and the pump.  IOW, one doesn't set basal
rates or calculate boluses.

Jim Handsfield