Re: [IP] Kevin and his very weird day

 Any chance his finger was sugary from some substance and the 262 was a
false reading? It's happened to us.

Kay

Tom Beatson wrote:

  On Fri, 16 Aug 2002 16:30:31 -0400, Robin Ramm wrote:
  *    Reply-To:   email @ redacted

    Tell me this...Kevin ate his usual breakfast of 107 carbs, bolused his usual 8
    units (started at 95 this am) and for some odd reason at 2 hours out he was
    262! We checked all the usual reasons out (nothing on fingers, no air in tube,
    yes, he did bolus...) and did a 1.0 unit correction. 1.5 hours later, he was
    182 still...so we did another .4. And he ate a sandwich. 2 hours out he was
    105, so I assumed whatever the problems WAS, he was fixed...but he said he
    felt sick to his stomach so he thought he was high again. 45 minutes later he
    checked and I was floored!!! HE WAS 25!!!!!! NEVER has he been that low!
    WASSUP???? No unusual exercise, NO unusual food.....I don't get it?

  One possibility is that there was an air bubble that was poised at the
  infusion set when Kevin administered the bolus of 8 units. So the bolus
  pushed the air ahead of it and thus there was no evidence of any air bubbles
  1.5 hours later when he looked for them.

  Another possibility is that after doing the 1.0 correction for the 262 at 2
  hours after bolus and then checking after another 1.5 hr (182) and bolusing
  another correction of 0.4, the corrections are starting to pile up. Assuming
  that Kevin uses either Humalog or Novalog, a bolus of either one doesn't
  take effect immediately. It will be about 4 hours before any particular
  bolus is used up. In hindsight, since the BG was dropping, the sandwich
  wasn't the kind of carb that would be most effective against the dropping
  BG.

    HE WAS 25!!!!!! NEVER has he been that low!

  Welcome to the club.

  Tom Beatson
  dx 1942, 506 1995, 508 2000