Re: [IP] Islet Cells

I need to comment about this article from The Globe.  It talks about the beta
cells, or islet cells and how to 'grow' new ones or figure out how they turn
on and off....something like that.  Anyway, is that really the key to
diabetes?  I mean, my understanding is that this is an auto-immune system
where the body's own immune system has arbitrarily decided to attack its own
islett cells thus shutting them down and thus the need for external resources
of insulin.  Well, wouldn't the key factor for this be then to figure out WHY
the body chose the islett cells to attack, and how to stop the immune system
from attacking its own body parts.  It would not matter whose cells were in
your body (ie; cell transplant or cloned cells) if the autoimmune system is
whacked out then those cells are not any safer than the ones you were born
with, right????  Or am I missing something.  I think the key is figuring out
the immune system and how to stop it from attacking ANY cells!!!!

mom to Joshua