Re: [IP] closed loop system!

At 08:09 PM 08/16/2002 -0400, you wrote:
>In a message dated 8/16/02 4:34:17 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
>email @ redacted writes:
> > This is the major problem that makes it so hard to control BG.  Also
> > the reason they will never be able to "close the loop" with
> > subcutaneous insulin delivery.  never.

As a medical student, I am sure you are already aware of how precise you
must be with some of the things that you are studying.......

> CLOSE...i dont know who you think you are (on a level of education) to say
>such a statement, but this is soooo far from the truth....minimed has already
>closed the loop for 4 consecutive days, when they attempted to do so, on 10
>different individuals....theyre just perfecting the algorithm between the
>pump and the glucose sensor so it can work for all different individuals, of
>all different body types and metabolisms....being a first yr med student, and
>both parents physicians, i hear first hand, about the medical research and
>breakthroughs coming out for diabetes, especially the artificial pancreas,
>which is indeed a CLOSED LOOP system and is VERY close to reality..
>    so bite your tongue when it comes out, and NEVER say never

The original statement was "they will never be able to "close the loop"
with subcutaneous insulin delivery."    Us "old guys" may be loosing our
memory and I  remember that the closed loop systems deliver the insulin
directly into the blood stream or to the absorbent abdominal tissues and
NOT through a "subcutaneous method"...

>   just my two cents..bassem

Take what you like and leave the rest,

Jim S.