Re: [IP] Kevin and his very weird day

On Fri, 16 Aug 2002 16:30:31 -0400, Robin Ramm wrote:
*    Reply-To: email @ redacted
>Tell me this...Kevin ate his usual breakfast of 107 carbs, bolused his usual 8
>units (started at 95 this am) and for some odd reason at 2 hours out he was
>262! We checked all the usual reasons out (nothing on fingers, no air in tube,
>yes, he did bolus...) and did a 1.0 unit correction. 1.5 hours later, he was
>182 still...so we did another .4. And he ate a sandwich. 2 hours out he was
>105, so I assumed whatever the problems WAS, he was fixed...but he said he
>felt sick to his stomach so he thought he was high again. 45 minutes later he
>checked and I was floored!!! HE WAS 25!!!!!! NEVER has he been that low!
>WASSUP???? No unusual exercise, NO unusual food.....I don't get it?

One possibility is that there was an air bubble that was poised at the
infusion set when Kevin administered the bolus of 8 units. So the bolus
pushed the air ahead of it and thus there was no evidence of any air bubbles
1.5 hours later when he looked for them.

Another possibility is that after doing the 1.0 correction for the 262 at 2
hours after bolus and then checking after another 1.5 hr (182) and bolusing
another correction of 0.4, the corrections are starting to pile up. Assuming
that Kevin uses either Humalog or Novalog, a bolus of either one doesn't
take effect immediately. It will be about 4 hours before any particular
bolus is used up. In hindsight, since the BG was dropping, the sandwich
wasn't the kind of carb that would be most effective against the dropping

>HE WAS 25!!!!!! NEVER has he been that low!
Welcome to the club.

Tom Beatson
dx 1942, 506 1995, 508 2000