Re: [IP] too much insulin?

Sara wrote:
>NOW, there are some studies that have linked higher insulin use with higher
>incidence of heart disease (I THINK - someone probably has more accurate
>info). but from what I understand, the people who were taking all that
>insulin were NOT well controlled diabetics.

I guess I was thinking of these kinds of findings, although I didn't know
that any of them were re diabetic subjects who were injecting insulin.  I
was thinking more about the "syndrome x" stuff, ie, people who are not
necessarily diabetic but they are insulin resistant and their insulin
secretion is higher than normal.  I feel like I may have some of the
syndrome x symptons even though my body makes no insulin at all - though I'm
not making any, I'm injecting (pumping) based on whatever it takes to get my
blood sugar normal (probably why people with syndrome x make more insulin
than "normal" people).

I used to have an insulin to carb ratio of 1:3 and I talked to several
different GPs and endos about it and none of them would admit to me that
they thought that was a pretty steep ratio.  They all gave me that line
about there not being some magical number, everybody's different, yada yada.
  But I thought it was a real problem, something that could be and should be
changed, and potentially something that was a sign that there was something
wrong.  Then, low and behold, I find out that I have celiacs disease, I quit
eating gluten and my ratio is suddenly 1:8.  Now I wonder if doing nearly
three times as much insulin as I would have needed had the celiacs been
treated was bad for me AND whether I should now be working to keep my
insulin use to a minimum (not to make up for the years of 1:3 but just
because it might do me good).  I am sure that I could decrease my insulin
use by increasing exercise (and thereby decreasing the insulin to carb
ratio) and by decreasing my carb consumption.  The question is <should I?>.
I won't really know the answer to that question unless I have some sense of
how much insulin is a good healthy level for my body.  That question may not
be answerable, but I was just wondering if anyone out there had any ideas...