Re: [IP] more carb = carb

In a message dated 8/15/02 8:41:44 AM Pacific Daylight Time, email @ redacted

>  question is: if so, is it hypothetically just as good for us to have
> > regular soft drinks and bolus for them as to have sugar free soft drinks?
> > If so, is the reason that we use diet drinks just so that

Regular soft drinks spike the sugar as they are very glycemic.  Even though
they can theorectically be covered with insulin, it will take a lot of
insulin to do so because the higher the spike, the more resistant the body
becomes to the injected (or pumped) insulin.  The more insulin needed, the
more chance of overdosing and hypo.

IMHO, always better to avoid things that cause spikes; we do allow them
whenever Gabe really wants them, but he himself will decide not to take
certain foods like regular drinks that cause spikes.