[IP] Medicare Insulin

Medicare pays 80% of the 'allowed amount' which isn't a lot.  I went to
Wal-Mart and insisted that it was covered and my endo had to write out a
very specific prescription for it which Medicare wants renewed every six
months (kinda like the pump supplies and test strips).  Call Medicare
Customer Service in Columbia South Carolina at 1-800-213-5452 and wade
through the voice answering 'options' until you get a live operator.  Make
sure you've got your Medicare # handy.

I can't really remember how I worked this out but I remember it was a hassle
getting the Wal-Mart pharmacist on the same page as I was.  Better yet I get
a 3 month's supply of insulin from Get Well Pharmacy (cute) in Florida- who
can and will supply insulin (shipped with ice pack), test strips  (also
covered by Medicare), lancets, meters, whatever.  Then you don't have to
fool around hoping your insulin will last 'til you get back from vacation.
1-877-917-2225 - tell them you're a new customer on Medicare - they have
special reps who handle this.

You'll need your endo's number and hopefuly FAX and they can take care of
all the scripts for you.  There are other providers of this kind of service.
  What I like is that they bill Medicare directly and I don't have to wait
for Medicare to reimburse me.  Three months of test strips and insulin for
me is over $1000.00

Good luck.