Re: [IP] early stages of kidney dz

In a message dated 8/14/02 2:09:52 PM Eastern Daylight Time, email @ redacted

> I'll mount my soapbox again for you and any other newbies who have the early
> stages of kidney disease - PLEASE get a referral to a nephrologist
> (kidneyologist). I recall when I was functioning at 80% - about 20 years
> ago. I recall when I hit 50% - about 8-9 years ago and endo put me on a
> low-protein diet - I lost another 15% over a year and a half. I requested a
> nephrologist then (35%).

Ok, I know I'm going to sound stupid....I should know this it seems.....but
are there any physical symptoms that would let a person know that they are in
the early stages of kidney disease?  I'm not sure that my endo is doing the
right tests.  The one I used to have did a 24 hr urine collection at least
once a year, but this one doesnt.  She just does the spot test for protein as
far as I know.  Is that enough?  I'm paranoid about kidney failure and have
been waking up lately with my eyes and face swollen......sometimes my hands
and feet.  But she said that my last tests were normal.  So what could it