[IP] Re: IP] Re: Diabetics and Sweets

This is from the ADA website:

"Can I eat foods with sugar in them?

For almost every person with diabetes, the answer is yes! Eating a piece of
cake made with sugar will raise your blood glucose level. So will eating
corn on the cob, a tomato sandwich, or lima beans. The truth is that sugar
has gotten a bad reputation. People with diabetes can and do eat sugar. In
your body, it becomes glucose, but so do the other foods mentioned above.
With sugary foods, the rule is moderation. Eat too much [take this to mean
that sometimes you can undercount the carbs in cake, pie, etc], and 1)
you'll send your blood glucose level up higher than you expected; 2) you'll
fill up but without the nutrients that come with vegetables and grains; and
3) you'll gain weight. So, don't pass up a slice of birthday cake. Instead,
at the next meal, eat a little less bread or potato and be sure to take a
brisk walk to burn some calories."
Remember something in one of the Diabetes Forecast's about the "change" in
allowing sweets, but don't remember what issue.  Think the basic idea was
what we all know: a carb is a carb is a carb.

Marj; Mike (I'm not into computers, but glad to be on this list); and "Ace,
the PP" (portable pancreas)