Re: [IP] % of getting diabetes if father has Type 1

Jayne Drowns <email @ redacted> wrote:

> Wait a minute!!!  Are you saying that, if I have a child, he or she will
> no more likely than anyone else to have type I?  Do you know if he or she
> will be more likely than others to have some sort of autoimmune disease?

>From a statistics point of view, no.  That does not mean that there is no
association, but if there is one, it hasn't been discovered yet.  The immune
system being what it is, it makes *biological* sense that the predisposition
for whatever triggers the autoimmune reaction will be passed on to one's

I don't know about other autoimmune diseases (lupus, rheumatoid arthritis,

Jim Handsfield