Re: [IP] Why Can't I Feel Sorry For Myself

I think you have that right.  I also think people's knee-jerk reaction is to
be optimistic, try to make people "feel" better and is so doing, they are, at
the same time, dismissing people's true feelings - not reading between the
lines of what people are actually saying - trying to make everything "ok".
Yes, there are diseases, afflictions, whatever you want to call it, worse
than diabetes - but there are also things much better.  My daughter's had
type I for 32 years - I've often said - and I know this sounds harsh - that
I'd rather her have lost an arm than have diabetes - the arm's gone, you
learn to manage, you go on  - it's not a 24/7 chronic illness that requires
constant, constant monitoring with no light at the end of the tunnel - and
this isn't even considering the longterm complications - just how diabetes
limits you - when she was young, I couldn't just send her over to a friend's
to play without educating the parent, I couldn't just send her on field
trips, to school, anywhere, etc., without worrying, without educating
everyone who would be around her.  Now my g-daughter (7 yo) was dx'd almost a
year ago - now we're all going thru same thing - which is why she's
homeschooled - that was a big fiasco.  These people who tell you not to feel
sorry for yourself, do they realize exactly what managing Type I entails and
how serious it is?  If they don't, I can understand their attitude, but if
they do understand Type I, then I think they are doing you a disservice but
glossing over it and not seeing the big picture - But you are right.  Stay
strong - Tammy