[IP] Re: Soda in the '50s----sweeteners

Yes, saccharin and cyclamates are available for sale in Canada.  However,
both of these products are only available as table top sweeteners and can not
be used in any other products.
Saccharin is sold as "Sweet 'n Low".  Cyclamate is sold under the brand name
Sucaryl and is used in Sugar Twin.

When we moved to the UK, I needed to look for sugar free beverages for
Claire, then aged 4.  I was totally shocked to see that 90% of the drinks
marketed for kids contained these products.  The clerks in the shops thought
I was crazy, turning around every bottle on the shelf, row after row, trying
to find one with Aspartame or Ace-K instead.  Finally did find one brand.
Children there have a big problem with tooth decay, thus most kids are given
sugar-free beverages by their parents.  And many, many brands are readily
available for this reason.  Even nice little tetra-pak drinks come in
sugar-free varieties.  Something I missed when we returned to Canada

Barbara, Mum of Claire 8.