[IP] remember? - sharpening needles

George said:
>>>  Seems I'm so used to disposable pads that I forgot the ever present
balls.   I also remember keeping my syringe in an olive jar, because it was
tall and thin, and we kept it full of alcohol with a bunch of cotton at the
bottom to keep the needle from dulling.   Seems it would for a few weeks
(months?) but eventually it was time for the whet stone again.  That and
that really fine steel wire that we would run through the needle to be sure
there weren't any burrs that would come loose.  Yep, things have changed for
the better.   I can't imagine a one-a-day world anymore.   ;>)  <<<

BD sold a stainless steel cylindrical container with a rubber cap to hold a
2cc syringe.  The container was to be filled with alcohol and there was a
coil spring at the top of the container that suspended the syringe so the
needle would not touch the bottom.  The alcohol quickly destroyed the rubber
cap and it soon became too much of a bother to keep the container filled
with the rapidly evaporating alcohol so the syringe was boiled every few
weeks or so, if I remembered.