Re: [IP] Re: Diabetics and Sweets

At 02:01 PM 8/12/2002 -0800, you wrote:
> > Can anyone point me to articles or research about the current
> > thinking regarding IDDM diabetics eating high sugar foods such as
> > cakes, cookies, etc.? I always felt that if you knew your
> > carb/insulin ratio, there was no reason you couldn't enjoy these in
> > moderate amounts - provided of course you were not overweight to
> > begin with. A friend who also has IDDM insists that diabetics are
> > not "allowed" to have any sweets.

That's the way things were many moons ago, like the 60's when I was first
diagnosed.  Have your friend read this list.

>  Is there research I can direct her
> > to showing that these are not harmful in moderation?

I don't know why you use the word moderation.  For if you are on a pump you
just need to count carbs.  Period.  All the other stuff falls under are ya
overweight, is it good for you, etc.

>A carb is a carb is a carb. What possible difference does it make to
>your bg's if it comes from and apple or a peanut butter cup.

Well a lot if you have gastroparesis.  If I ate an able I would want to
give 1.5 units right away if I ate a peanut butter cup I would want to wait
and / or do an extended bolus.

>  It's
>still 15 grams.

True, but ... read above.