[IP] Re: Diabetics and Sweets

Can anyone point me to articles or research about the current thinking
regarding IDDM diabetics eating high sugar foods such as cakes, cookies,
etc.? I always felt that if you knew your carb/insulin ratio, there was no
reason you couldn't enjoy these in moderate amounts - provided of course you
were not overweight to begin with. A friend who also has IDDM insists that
diabetics are not "allowed" to have any sweets. Is there research I can
direct her to showing that these are not harmful in moderation?