Re: [IP] JV worries

In a message dated 8/12/02 12:41:08 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
email @ redacted writes:

> . She disconnects the pump during sports, which would be fine if
> she gave herself a litttle insulin before doing that.
> I'm struggling with letting go and it would be so much easier if she
> were a little more responsible. My gut feeling is that if I'm not there
> she will be ok, but it is soooooo hard.

Kay (and Robin):
     Boy did this bring back memories....Melissa played field hockey & was
told repeatedly by her CDE that she could NOT be off her pump longer than 90
minutes without taking some insulin...chalk it up to being 14, or 15 or
wanting to "forget" she had diabetes, she DIDN'T reconnect until
practice/game ended several hours later....after the 4th time of picking her
up at 6:00 & having a VERRRRY nasty teenager who couldn't eat dinner,
couldn't think clearly to do homework  & whose bgs were in the high 300s, I
gave her an ultimatum - either be responsible or be off the team...we got
through that season, but the following fall she realized the sports didn't
mean enough to her....Unlike Michael's Lily and probably unlike your kids,
she was never "into" sports that much....If one is truly an athlete, I would
hope that "doing what's needed" in order to function at one's "personal best"
"should" be enough of an incentive....and yet....
    Melissa is now 19 1/2, and sports haven't been an issue for years... she
recently baby-sat for a former neighbor & spent the afternoon in their
pool...we picked her up to go out & I casually asked what her bgs
were...DUH..how about she'd been disconnected for FOUR hours & had taken NO
insulin- even for lunch!!!....Never did figure out where her head was that
day, BUT here's the lesson: C-O-N-S-E-Q-U-E-N-C-E-S......Not only did she
have to deal with feeling AWFUL, with listening to me rant & rave (because I
was scared),  with bgs in the 400s, with having to guzzle water & wait for
her bgs to begin to respond (came down 5 points in the first 90 minutes), but
our trip to the mall, which was supposed to end with a trip to the Cheesecake
Factory, DIDN'T, because over 2 hours later, she was still in the low 300s &
felling lousy....Aside from unnerving me, that episode also made me realize
how RELENTLESS diabetes is & how I think she simply wanted to "forget",
possibly because that neighbor's son was born the week before her dx almost
10 years ago???????
   p.s. we did go to the Cheescake Factory last night & she even came home &
did the treadmill!! LOL
Renee (Melissa's pump mom)