Re: [IP] Re: Article in Philadelphia Inquirer (8/9)

In a message dated 8/9/02 4:04:52 PM US Eastern Standard Time,
email @ redacted writes:

<< Subject: Re: [IP] Re: Article in Philadelphia Inquirer (8/9)
 > I somehow felt cheated for all of us who have experienced dramatically
 > improved control (or even somewhat improved control) while on the pump.
 > What do the rest of you think?
 > Barbara
 I feel the same way when I hear how people that should be in the "know" keep
 cheating us of fair treatment.  I feel that insulin pump therapy is the
 greatest thing that has ever happened to me and I have read many others of
 your notes stating the same. >>

What you have to understand is that the CDEs are the convention did not write
the article: A reporter did. A reporter went out and found what information
she believed was important (and did a very good job of doing some education
about diabetes). However, the reporter probably does not have diabetes --
which is a very complicated disease to understand. While pumping is the "gold
standard" of diabetes care, there are many people who cannot afford a pump
and/or cannot afford the supplies. It's important also to let people know
about pens and about more physiologic insulins that you inject. And I
particularly liked the intro to the article, which, in a very few words,
destroyed some myths about diabetes.

I'm basically a reporter, and I was at  AADE for three full days. I have
diabetes, I know a lot about diabetes, and I write about diabetes. I don't
think I could have done a better job than the reporter who wrote the article.
There was so much information presented at AADE that it was impossible to
squeeze in even a tiny percentage of it.

While I think it's important to promote insulin pump therapy, it's also
important to point out other methods of control. I plan to write the reporter
and tell her what an excellent job she did in this article.

Jan and Elvis