[IP] More fun with Clear Channel Entertainment

I attempted to enter through the front gate of the PNC Bank Arts Center in
Holmdel NJ for the Bonnie Raitt / Lyle Lovett show.  The show was promoted
by Clear Channel Entertainment.

The ticket taker asked to see what's inside the black bag holding my
Accuchek Advantage monitor. I complied.  He said that no medicine is allowed
through the front gate; I could enter only by going around through the
"A.D.A" gate.  (Since when is DM a disability?). I told him with an attitude
like that, his employer could be looking at a lawsuit.  I found the ADA gate
where nobody questioned anything (except that I had a ticket).

I'm angry about the stupidly uneven enforcement of their rules.  If I am
relegated to their ADA entrance, perhaps I am entitled to the close-up ADA
parking too.  Diabetes is not a disability.  My experience is progress over
the events that prompted the Justice Department to sue Clear Channel.

The story below was found at http://www.diabetesnews.com/archive.html

DATE: April 12, 2002
The Justice Department sued the world's largest concert promoter Tuesday,
claiming the company's ban on hypodermic needles at its shows discriminates
against people with diabetes.

The federal suit accuses Houston-based SFr Entertainment Inc. of violating
the Americans with Disabilities Act by forcing music fans to choose between
missing a show or taking an unreasonable health risk.

Many diabetics carry an insulin injection pen or syringe and blood testing
equipment, and can experience life-threatening diabetic attacks at any time,
the suit said.

"Individuals with diabetes are entitled to attend and enjoy community
events, like anyone else, without putting their lives at risk," Assistant
Attorney General Ralph F. Boyd Jr. said in a statement.

SFr Entertainment promotes concerts, sporting events and theatrical
productions under the name Clear Channel Entertainment. The company operates
110 venues nationwide, and said it believes its policy complies with the

SFX said medical supplies, including syringes, can be brought into
entertainment venues but must be taken to a first aid station and stored
with the medical services provider until needed.

"It is our understanding that the Americans with Disabilities Act allows
latitude when public safety risks may apply,'' the company said in a
statement. "The proper disposal of a syringe or needle is a public safety
concern, and our policy is written to address this concern.''

A Justice Department spokeswoman said the government sued only after failing
to persuade SFX to change its rules voluntarily. The company said it was
"reviewing and reconfirming" the policy.

Four people are named in the suit, including a woman who had her diabetes
kit confiscated at a nightclub in Philadelphia in 2000.

The suit also targets SFX's ban on patrons bringing outside food into
events. Government lawyers said diabetics need food to boost their
blood-sugar levels if they have an attack.