To: <email @ redacted>
Subject: Re: [IP] Heart Attacks and Diabetes
From: "Melany Noltenius" <email @ redacted>
Date: Wed, 22 May 2002 07:40:39 -0400

What are NSAIDS?

Pardon the age of the the post, but I have not yet seen a reply. We went to
an arthritis meeting this week and were given literature, with this
description included:

Traditional NSAIDs
Nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs make up the most-used and largest class
of medictions for arthritis. Regardless of the form of arthritis you have,
you've probably taken an NSAID (pronounced EN-said) at some point. In fact,
there's a very good chance an NSAID was the first drug you took. Several are
readily available over the counter. More than a dozen others are available
with a doctor's prescription.

At over-the-counter doses, NSAIDS are among the best antidotes for arthritis
pain. At prescription doses, they are effective fighters of both pain and
inflammation. But this relief can come at a cost. In addition to the more
common side effects of stomach upset, many people develop more serious
gastrointestinal (GI) problems, including ulcers and bleeding. (Jan's note:
the purpose of this being on this list is NSAIDs are not good for DMers'

Included in the list of NSAIDs:
Ibuprofen - Motrin, Advil, Motrin IB, Nuprin.

Source: 2002 Drug Guide, supplement to Arthritis Today www.arthritis.org

A man convinced against his will is of the same opinion still