Re: [IP] Re: Article in Philadelphia Inquirer (8/9)

In a message dated 8/10/02 12:35:58 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
email @ redacted writes:

> Right on, George! If there are about 150,000 U.S. pumpers, that means there
> are something like 900,000 Type 1's on MDI. Most of them probably don't
> know
> what they are missing, as was my case prior to 2001. The sad thing is I bet
> many of them have doctors who tell them they are fine or that pumping isn't
> for them etc. etc. as was my case until I found a "pump-friendly" endo.

The key phrase here is :Most of them probably don't know
what they are missing,.....I spoke to a mom recently whose son had opted to
discontinue pumping for the summer, since he'd viewed it as a deterrent last
summer to being a "happy camper". She said he resented disconnecting for
swimming & was uncomfortable playing baseball etc. I didn't debate ways they
could have dealt with that, because I was more disconcerted by her telling me
that he'd gone back on shots of NPH & Humalog, and of course was having
difficulty with  control, awakening in the 300s daily!!!
    I asked why they hadn't considered Lantus & the mom said "oh we tried
that years ago"...wrong....she was thinking of Lente...she knew nothing about
Lantus & why it would have been a preferable alternative, nor had the ped
endo even suggested it....
    So even with an ostensibly proactive, educated pump family, the
information gap still persists.... which is why this IP group is so
invaluable to all of us who are NOT content to simply accept what the doctor
Renee (Melissa's pump mom)