Re: [IP] Washington Post Readers - What was that

> type 2 can be more or less prevented in many people (no, i
> know, not in all), so the attention is merited.

It is true Type 2 is at epidemic proportions, especially in minority
communities. The rate of Type 2 among African Americans and Hispanics is
double that of Anglos, and Native Americans even higher. And the incidence
of Type 2 in children--yes kids--is on the rise. The good news is that,
unlike Type 1, much can be done to stem the tide, mostly through education
and lifestyle. But it is a monumental task. I wrote a diabetes education
grant (yes, Jim, to the CDC), which was approved but not funded because they
ran out of money. Meanwhile, here in Dallas, my local partner agency told me
that whatever funding they could get would be deployed immediately (Hispanic
community) because the need/demand was overwhelming.

> i can't figure out why the provincial gov't won't pay for
> test strips or other dm supplies which can help a person keep control over
> his or her dm.  >

You reminded me of Humana in Chicago, which I *hated* for various reasons
(no endos on their approved list of docs, if you can believe it), but I must
give them credit for one thing--they gave me as many test strips as I needed
absolutely free of charge--not even a co-pay or deductible. This practice
encouraged me to more aggressively track my BG's, which I did, and altho on
MDI, bring my A1C down to 5.8. Which I think is the whole idea of an
HMO--maintenance--so you don't end up in the hospital. Ironic that PPO's and
major medicals don't do this (least not my mine!)