Re: [IP] gushers

In a message dated 8/7/02 10:11:30 AM Pacific Daylight Time,
email @ redacted writes:

> GUSHER:  a well that sends its oil shooting into the sky
> on a more mundane level, sometimes when you do an insertion you nick
> a capillary and it leaks into the surrounding tissue. This blood
> pools at the site, usually unknown to the "victim". Since the leak is
> very small, only a tiny amount of blood is being lost and if it was
> an external cut it would clot and stop quickly. However, this little
> leak creates a pool of blood that "gushes" out when the infusion set
> is removed. It is harmless (unless you have white rugs :-) it just
> looks really bad and keeps coming for up to a minute or more. You can
> quite easily get the impression that it is a severe bleed and really
> bad stuff is happening when in reality it is just the pool
> emptying and it will stop.

     Thank you for this information!  It happened to me about 2 weeks after I
started pumping, and it really freaked me out, because it bled for a long
time.  I thought I might have hit a vein, but it didn't affect me the way it
did when I was on injections and accidently injected into a vein, and passed
out minutes later.  It's good to know that in this case, it's harmless.