Re: [IP] remember?

On Fri, 9 Aug 2002 19:07:56 -0600, Lisa Mattox wrote:
>I was lucky and diagnosed at age 14 (in 1976).  I had an orange in the
>hospital which I injected mercilessly with saline.  The orange went home
>with me and became sort of petrified.  My mother finally threw it away and I
>was really heartbroken!  I also practiced on a brave nurse.  My mother says
>she could NEVER have given me a shot and it's a good thing I was old enough
>to do it myself!  I still miss that orange sometimes.....<:~)

Your story is very amusing! Using an orange to train newly diagnosed Type
1's seems to be a medical standard. I remember using an orange in Dec. 1942,
and it wasn't presented as something new. I really wouldn't be surprised if
someone were to trace it back to the 1920s (but I'm not claiming anything
before 1942).

Question for the IP list: Are newly diagnosed Type 1's still using oranges?

Tom Beatson
dx 12/9/42, 506 1995, 508 2000