[IP] How do you aply Emla cream?

I'm going to be trying Emla cream.  I thought the doctor said to apply a
small amount.  In the directions it says to apply a thick layer over where
the set will be going in.
  My question is to those who have used it.  Can you tell me the proceedure
that you use?  Do you use a small or larger amount?  How large of an area do
you cover?  Do you cover the area that you applied the cream on with a
bandaid? (in the directions, it says to cover the area after applying and
wait 1 hour, wash off the cream and insert).
Thanks for any info.
Dianne, Mom to Johnny 10