[IP] (no subject)

I am writing to set the record straight.  I am a Type I pumping optometrist.
Optometrists specialize in refraction (glasses prescriptions) AND diagnosing
eye disease.  Optometrists are just as qualified to diagnose and follow
retinal disease as ophthalmologists.  Ophthalmologists specialize in surgery
once it is needed.  Most of my friends who are ophthalmologists do not want
to do routine, everyday, non surgical exams.  (I am not putting down
ophthalmologists, but you get more money for surgery than routine stuff.)
The ophthalmologists that I refer to generally like to send my patients back
to me to follow and only want to see them when it is time for surgery.
Generally, an optometrist spends about 4o minutes on an exam opposed to 5
minutes to check the retina.  Optometrists do most of the work themselves and
ophthalmologists will have technicians do most of the preliminary work.
(Again, not putting anyone down, I am just stating the differences.)
Optometrists do dilate and look at the whole eye.  (I am not sure where the
"look only at the front of the eye" came from.)  Optometrists tend to know
the patients on a personal level because of the amount of time we spend.
Children should have their eyes examined at 6 months, 3 years, age 5 and
every year in school..... and these are NON-Diabetic children.  Diabetic
children should have their eyes examined every year, regardless of how long
they have had diabetes.  You can get referrals from websites like
www.aaoptom.org for the American Academy of Optometry and www.aoa.org for the
American Optometric Association.  Andy Winters, do you want a job in