[IP] Re: Article in Philadelphia Inquirer (8/9)

Hello, all -

Have some of you Northeasterners read the article in today's Inquirer
(front page) entitled "Improved Tools Aid Living with Diabetes?"  It comes
as a result of the recent AADE convention in Philly this week.

Although the information presented is basically accurate, I was somewhat
puzzled that insulin pumps were not very highly touted as one of those
"improved tools."  Indeed, I had to read 3/4 of the way through the lengthy
article to even see a mention of pumping.  Other innovations such as the
insulin pen, better home glucose monitoring systems, and "new"
longer-lasting insulins (like Lantus) received a lot of hype.

I somehow felt cheated for all of us who have experienced dramatically
improved control (or even somewhat improved control) while on the pump.
What do the rest of you think?  Is there any reputable source  (hey, Jim
Handsfield!) from which to determine the approximate percentage of
insulin-dependent diabetics who pump as opposed to those who use more
traditional methods of administering insulin?  I want to see a percentage,
if one is available.  As a member of this wonderful group, I tend to think
we're a majority, but evidently that's not so.

I may e-mail the writer of the article.  What are your opinions?