Re: [IP] remember?

> They (the docs) must have changed their way of thinking on that eventually.
> I was dxed in the mid 70's.  They wouldn't even let me leave the hospital
> until I gave MYSELF a shot.  I was told that it was my responsibility and
> that I had to know how to take care of myself.
> SharonJ

I think it has to do with the age of the patient too.  I was diagnosed in 1981
at the age of 11, and I was also taught on an orange and was giving myself
shots within three days.  The first time, I was so nervous, I dropped the
syringe on the floor.  I know of a girl that was the sister of a friend of
mine who was born with diabetes.  She had never given herself a shot even up
until the time she got married.  Then her mother taught her husband.  She
completely refused.  I lost touch years back, so I don't know if she ever did.

On the note of home blood testing, it was not common and expensive I suppose
in the very early 80's, but I went to the hospital twice a week to have blood
drawn for the first year after diagnoses.