RE: [IP] remember?

>>They (the docs) must have changed their way of thinking on that
>>I was dxed in the mid 70's.  They wouldn't even let me leave the hospital
>>until I gave MYSELF a shot.  I was told that it was my responsibility and
>>that I had to know how to take care of myself.

I think this also depends on how old you are at diagnosis.  I was diagnosed
in 1980 at age 4 and remember my mom being a little shocked when they handed
me a 1cc syringe and a grapefruit to practice on (they were out of oranges).
When they realized I was more excited to see what I could extract from the
fruit, instead of injecting air into it, they stopped trying to train me to
do it.  Although my brothers felt left out, so they had also brought them
fruit to inject into.  We could have made a nice fruit salad out of tortured
fruit.  :-)

I however learned at camp how to inject at age 5, although adults were still
drawing up the insulin for me.  And I learned how to draw up the insulin at
age 6.  Back then  I wasn't carb counting, and was on exchanges so the only
factor was the sliding scale for lows/highs and I was a wiz at math even at
that age.

The camp I went to required that the campers be able to inject themselves
(not necessarily draw up the insulin), if they were 8+ and draw up the
insulin if they were 12+.  They allowed campers who where able to do this
younger to do so.  I guess it was their way of 'empowering' us.  My
reasoning was purely technical.  My mom is an RN and is from the school of
fast is painless.  I am from the school of slow and steady.  I find it a LOT
less painful.   YMMV (YMPDV - Your Mileage Probably Did Vary).  :-)

-- Sherry