[IP] cnn quote

steve thought the following quote was odd:

> Argued attorney Warren Dennis: "This case stretches the legal concept
> of foreseeability. I don't have an obligation to see if a person I pass on
> the street is a diabetic. There is no duty to take care of others.
"<A HREF="http://www.cnn.com/2002/LAW/08/08/dui.third.party/index.html">http://www.cnn.com/2002/LAW/08/08/dui.third.party/index.html</A>

I agree, but have more to say on it....

The full article has to do with how much liability someone has if someone
ELSE causes a problem. (think bars being sued for serving a drunk guy who
goes out and kills 4 people in his car on the way home)  If I pass a bum
passed out in a corner, is it my responsibility to wonder if he might be
sick....actually I am merely ASSUMING he is a bum....no normal, healthy
person in their right mind would pass out in the street, right?  But then I
think...hell, sometimes I don't dress like a normal, healthy person...and you
all know I am rarely in my right mind.  In fact, I used to look down right
bummish when I walked home from my gym in a not so nice part of
Manhattan...What if I had a low blood sugar that resulted in the heretofore
never experienced action of passing out in a corner...would anyone stop to
see if I was ok?? A cop once told me that becuase of the way I was DRESSED (i
had on a dress at the time and looked respectable), sure they would check for
a medic alert before they threw me in some where to sober up..HA...

 Is is society's PLACE to nose into other people's business??  I have
actually tapped a "bums" on the shoulder just to MAKE sure...just to relieve
my conscience, so when the news came on, I wouldn't hear about some diabetic
who passed out and died on the corner I just walked by...when they roll over
off their botthe and snap at me to mind my own beeswax, then at least I felt
a little relieved of my RESPONSIBILITY

Classic example just now on CSI...the driver of the bus that crashed was
looking "fishy" - acting weird...looked drunk in fact, and the investigator
whips out the breathalizer, but before they can test him, the driver passes
out...he eventually dies, but from internal injuries they say - what an
assumption!!!  But does society have any LESS obligation to wonder if the
person passed out on the is in a diabetic hypo or alcoholic stupor - did they
even BOTHER to test his blood sugar or did they ASSUME he was just a drunk
who caused the accident??

Third party responsibility is this country's answer for everything..YOur
children are failing out of school so it is the teacher's fault, your commute
is 45 minutes so it is the highway department's fault, your dog gets run over
adn it is the fence manufacturer's fault....baloney.....if anyone should be
"charged" in this ridiculous law suit filed by a grieving father, it should
be the cops who locked him up in the first place adn then didn't KEEP him
there til he sobered up!! Did they INSTRUCT the third party person NOT to
take him to his car?  Heck even old Andy Griffith let the drunk sleep it off
in the cell!!!

Now, if the guy who lived, who is being charged with this third party
liability had diabetes, and crashed on his way to dropping off the drunk at
his car, and had a blood sugar of 45 at the time of hte crash, then YES he is
liable, as far as i am concerned.  If you can't accept the responsibility of
diabetes and getting behind the wheel of a car, then perhaps you shouldn't
have the priviledge?

WOuldn't it be a great world if we all CARED about each other and didn't
assume the worst right off?   ROTFLMAO - I can see that happening, oh,

ohhh am I on a soap box or what...