[IP] DM in the 50's

As Jan replied in a prior post, the urine tests were very chancy in regard to
accuracy and the insulin accuracy with beef/pork of whatever version (NPH,
regular, Lente [3 flavors]) was fun.

My memories include eating food brought from home in restaurants up until my
Senior Year of HS (1970) because you never knew what the cooks were adding to
the dishes when you ate out.  We realized I needed to be able to guess
exchanges better when I went to college so we started doing more eating of
outsider food so I could judge.  One of the requirements at college was that
I could talk or work with the kitchen staff on what they were adding to the
food - I got a private copy of the menu and if anything seemed to bounce my
'urine sugar' high, I'd record it and find out what 'additives' were added
and if I could expect it in the future.  Some of the cooks even put a red dot
on the menu in the cafeteria line if they mucked with the recipe that day so
that I and the other seven diabetics would know or choose an alternative.

Without the blood sugar monitors, and with the hassle at times of the
'clintest' tablets or strips, some times I'd be carrying a pill bottle of
urine in my pocket for testing later -- embarrassment would occur when the
top popped off.

The other item was carrying sugar for a reaction -- for me the sugar packets
from fast food places wouldn't stand up in my pants pockets so I took to
wrapping two sugar cubes in aluminum foil as my 'shock stash.'  Many was the
time that after doing laundry I was removing wads of aluminum foil from my
pants pockets.

The other bad time was the banning of cyclamates because of the health
concerns - I was then as I am now an avid soda (pop) drinker and there was a
six month period where we actually stockpiled soda in the basement while the
soda distributors adjusted their stock (I'm probably one of the few that
participated in black market diet soda) - Bob Nnn