[IP] my two gusher stories from the IPachives LONG and GROSS

A reprint from march 1998 IP archives

Subj:   gushing blood - gross - BEWARE

This happened to me one time and I thought I was gonna die!  I was changing
my site - It was a fairly new site - like less than 2 days, but it had gotten
really sore, but not red or anything.  I was standing at the kitchen counter
and I pulled the site out
(using bent needles at this time)  I wiped the spot with an alcohol pad and
carried on filling the next infusion set.  I noticed a warm sensation on my
stomach and looked down to see blood OOZING out of the site!  Not gushing but
literally thick blood
OOZING  - got the picture?  eww grosssss!

So I wiped it again with the alcohol pad.  Since this was pre-surgery, I had
a nice roll of fat on my belly, and this site happened to be on the down side
of the roll, so I used one hand to stretch my skin up a little so I can see.
Well, when I wiped the oozing blood off, it was like I had turned on a fire
hose!!  This pin sized hole spewed blood with enough force to hit my kitchen
cabinets.  Stupidly, I stretched my skin up again to see what the hell is
going on and blood continues in a real purty arc around the kitchen - window,
curtains, stove. etc.

I am, as you can imagine, FREAKING OUT!!!.  The two alcohol pads are soaked,
so I grab the kitchen towel and press it into my stomach.  I am bleeding to
death I think.....I go sit down cuz for some reason I am feeling rather
faint, with this towel
pressed into my stomach.  I peek under it only to be rewarded by blood in my
face.  I hold the towel there another minute and peek again - this sucker is
still gushing!  So, living alone as I did, I called 911 and about the time
the operator answered, I thought, I am not going to incur an ambulance
expense not to mention the ER headache for a mere nose bleed outta my belly.
So I hung up and sat down again.

I had to keep the towel there another 5 minutes before it stopped bleeding.
At the end of all this, the towel, my underwear, etc. was soaked in blood.
All of this out of a eensy weensy itty bitty pin sized hole.

BUT - it has never happened again, so there ya are - just a freak of nature.

What I think happened is that the needle had nicked a blood vessel at some
point during the day  which starting the initial discomfort.  It had bled
under the skin but the needle kept re nicking it maybe, cuz I was running
around and doing alot of
physical stuff all day.  When I first pulled it out, the oozing blood was
just like clotted blood that had pooled there near the site - when I wiped
the clot away with the alcohol pad, it was like turning on the hose.  Who
know.  I had a nice bruise, but that's it.

Sorry to gross you all out...

A reprint from May 2000 IP achives on Gushers.....

THIS IS ALSO GROSS - you have been warned...

SO i have been having awesome bgs since my surgery, but yesterday morning had
unexplainable ones in the 200s.  I noticed a bit of blood just where the
canula enters the skin, so figured I would do a site change...this one was
from last Tuesday anyway....so I did...about 2 inches away,  same side but
further back....plugged in, primed and went about my day....great sugars all

Tonight, I woke up around 4am and my hand was on my site...and I noticed my
was GONE!!!  what?  I was still kinda drowsy, so I felt around...found the
pump where I knew it would be, and followed the tubing to my body...ahhh
there it was...I moved my hand back to the OLD site, which I now realized I
had left in, and lifted the tape off, pulled it off and dozed back to sleep.

Now it has been hotter than hell's kitchen here in hell's kitchen, NYC so I
am used to
being slightly damp when I sleep, and I didn't think anything unusual when I
felt that first drop of "sweat" roll down my back...as I wiped it away i
thought that feels weird...and as i moved my hand around it felt awfully
soaking wet for a little sweat, and awfully warm and sticky even for MY
sweat...so i turn on my light...My hand is COVERED in blood. My arm all the
way to the elbow is covered in blood,  my stomach looks like a prop for ER!!!
 my innie navel is FULL of blood - and it is all over the place...sheet,
pillow, t-shirt, underwear...I grab a tissue...kinda like grabbing a can of
Raid for the plague of the locusts I would imagine...and hold it to the
"wound"  thick darkish blood OOZING from it...it is soaked in seconds...grab
a roll of toilet paper I keep handy for night time snotty noses and press the
entire roll to me....and watch in amazement as the red spreads through it...

Finally it stops enough so i can get down out of the loft and into the
bathroom to clean myself off.  I looked like Carrie at the Prom...my roommate
for some reason was up watching TV...scared the crap outta him...