[IP] some facts about blood testing

first of all, let me say YMMV..everyone does what work best for them. or what
they think works best for them....god bless america where I have my choices,

Now...what you are testing when you poke a hole in your arm is NOT all blood.
 It is red and probably tastes the same (oh, admit it, you lick it off, too),
it is actually partly interstitial fluid - the liquid stuff that kinda floats
around between your cells...you know when they say your body is 80%
water...well that is some of that interstitial fluid.  What you get out of
your fingers is likely to be more blood, capillary blood, in fact, not venous
or arterial blood, and MUCH more likely to be fairly representative of what
is ACTUALLY going on in your blood at the time of your test...especially
since most meters now do the little calculation to give you the PLASMA
reading, rather than the whole blood reading (FYI:  our meters are not
capable of actually testing plasma, but because our doctors laboratories ARE,
the meters add the, what, 12%? to the number so what we see on our meters
more closely approximates what our doctors get).

Secondly, "they" recommend you not use your arm for testing unless your blood
sugars are stable (or some other official sounding word - i dont have the
paper in front of me), ie not after a meal, or near a peak of insulin or near
the height of your dawn phenomeon, or during, before or after exercise, or
when your site might be going bad, or when you are PMSing, or stressing out
about the stock market, or when the moon is full on the 7th...so when EXACTLY
is this 4 minute window when your blood sugar is NOT going one way or the
other?  hmmmmm???  and how do you KNOW it is stable?  oh SURE...some of us
can go by how we feel...hell, some of us (not me) even DRIVE without testing
their blood sugar, cuz they FEEL ok...but that is a separate discussion.  The
fact is, we may think we have our selves fairly well pinned down but that is
usually when this disease decides to smack you in the face to remind you that
you are human.  Just because for 9 weeks you havent had a blood sugar over
142 doesn't mean you won't tomorrow, (and personally, I think you are a
little obsessive/compulsive, but that is just my opinion,  more power to
you!!) so why add in the extra variable of interstitial fluid?

Thirdly, the meter companies and the government, and US, by default, ACCEPT
somethng like a 20% variance in readings as ACCEPTABLE.  For example, if you
get a reading of 125, that could REALLY be anywhere from 100 - 150....not
such a huge problem, but a reading of 200 could really be 160 - 240!!  I
would treat a 240 significantly different than I would treat a 160.  Just
something to rememeber when you are flag waving for the accuracy of your
meter....Instead of making new adn fancier machines to SELL US, why can't
they all focus on getting ONE accurate meter?  now THAT would be a good
investment...every diabetic in the world would FLOCK to the company who can
guarantee a less than 5% accepted variance in their meter...

Lastly, to those who prefer arm testing - and think it is less painful...walk
a mile in someone's shoes who does find it much more painful, and on whose
arms that b**tard of a guillotine leaves black and blue bullseye marks and
you might think differently.  I might remind those who find finger testing to
be painful that the sides of the finger are significantly less nerve ending
loaded than the pads, and it never ceases to amaze me the number of
co-diabetics I see at meetings and such who poke their fingers right in the
center of the finger! OWWW -

Just so you know I AM speaking from experience.  I used the arm testing
meter...and decided the pain, the concern over the stability of my bg, and
the unappealing bruises was not worth it to me....I gave up pain and bruises
when the circle jerks and sex pistols stopped doing live shows....and I trust
my dinosaur Profile to give me consistent results.  personally, I LIKE the
stone age....YMMV