[IP] Urine Sugar Tests

On Wed, 7 Aug 2002 18:54:12 EDT, email @ redacted wrote:
>...when did home glucose monitoring come into effect, and what were urine tests

Home glucose monitoring started for me about 1982.

The following paragraph is a slightly edited extract from the booklet I am
preparing in observance of my survival from 60 years of Type 1 diabetes:

In January 1943, as I began to recover from several days of coma, my mother
and I were taught how to perform the urine sugar test, using Benedict9s
solution. A specific number of drops of urine were placed in a test tube
with a couple of inches of Benedict9s solution. The test tube was boiled for
about five minutes on the gas stove in the kitchen in a metal measuring cup
with a couple of inches of water,or heated with a Bunsen burner in the
hospital. The mixture started out blue but when sugar was present in the
urine (almost always, in those days) the chemical reaction changed the color
from blue to green to yellow to orange to brown, and there was a color chart
on which these various colors were marked 0+, 1+, 2+, 3+, and 4+. (Back in
the 19809s I knew a diabetes educator who was herself a Type 1 diabetic, and
who was very proud of her personalized auto license plate "4PLUS".)

My 60-year anniversary will be on Dec. 7, 2002.

Tom Beatson