[IP] Re: DM in '50s

>>>   i cant even imagine dealing with diabetes before home glucose
when did home glucose monitoring come into effect, and what were urine tests
like....im VERY curious to know.

 hope to hear from you and other
VETERANS soon...bas>>>

Before car heaters, it was hard for *them* to imagine heat inside a car.
Before home BGs, we had no idea we were in that deprived state. In fact,
when I saw a home BG monitor (mid-to-late '70s) about the size of a small
VCR that had to be plugged in, warmed up, then all the procedure to follow
after poking one's self, I turned around and walked away - I wanted nothing
to do with such a device. After all, I had gone almost 3 decades without
doing that to myself. I saw no benefit. I learned.

The pee tests (5 drops urine, 10 drops water with a chemical tablet dropped
into a test tube to boil) gave results of the previous 4 hrs - extremely
unreliable and it also depended on one's renal threshold. A DMer could be
low with a low renal threshold and show 4+ -- or one could be high and show
Negative with a high renal threshold. We mostly went by how we *felt*.

In 1950 when I was dx'd, it was just the beginning of the Exchange System,
upgraded from the Percentage diet. NPH was fairly new and I had one shot a
day of mixed NPH/Reg for 31 years - then dr. *told* me to take two shots a
day. I thought that was a giant step backward!! In my 32nd year I was
convinced to try a pump - therefore, I had to test 4x a day for a year to
*get used to it* but with ChemStrip BG strips which I cut into 1/3's to save
$$. These were compared to a color chart on the side of the container.

Even the pumps have improved greatly since my first one 19 years ago --
those delivered in whole units only. When I got a MM 506 in '92 I often
showed lots of people how it worked by giving myself a 0.10u bolus. Surely
that teensy amount wouldn't hurt me when on the other pumps it could give me
only 1.0. I learned. ;)

The four greatest improvements I have seen since my dx in '50 are: home BGs,
pumps, humalog/Novolog, and carb counting. YMMV (~_^)

There are those who don't know and don't know they don't know; there are
those who don't know and know they don't know; there are those who know and
don't know they know; and there are those who know and know they know