Re: [IP] gushers

> Could someone please share with me what is a gusher?  You may email
> me privately if you like....

GUSHER:  a well that sends its oil shooting into the sky

on a more mundane level, sometimes when you do an insertion you nick
a capillary and it leaks into the surrounding tissue. This blood
pools at the site, usually unknown to the "victim". Since the leak is
very small, only a tiny amount of blood is being lost and if it was
an external cut it would clot and stop quickly. However, this little
leak creates a pool of blood that "gushes" out when the infusion set
is removed. It is harmless (unless you have white rugs :-) it just
looks really bad and keeps coming for up to a minute or more. You can
quite easily get the impression that it is a severe bleed and really
bad stuff is happening when in reality it is just the pool
emptying and it will stop. The biggest problem will be cleaning
up the mess you made if you did not have the presence of mind to grab
a towel or something to keep the blood from spilling all over your
nice white rug :-). Just remember, don't panic!!! This does not
happen often. I think Lily has had maybe..... mmm.... two??? in seven
years.

Michael