Re: [IP] Re: Bubbles

On 8/7/02 8:47 AM, "jhughey" <email @ redacted> wrote:

> When injecting air into the insulin vial, do it as we were taught when
> inserting air for regular injections - vial sitting on the table (?) and
> syringe/reservoir with needle and down and pointed inside. If injecting the
> air while vial is neck down, there are millions of tiny bubbles forced into
> the insulin. YMMV (~_^)
> @
> \(/ Jan

Instead of injecting air pressure of 1/3 of the volume of the vial before
drawing the insulin out, I instead will insert a plungerless syringe into
the stopper as I am withdrawing insulin.  This DOES create a lot of bubbles,
but they are the big kind and float to the top and I have virtually no small
bubbles in my syringe.  Pressure is kept at a constant which keeps the
bubbles from forming in solution.  Be sure the pressure is equalized or at a
negative before you insert an "equalizer" syringe into the vial.   ;>)