Re: [IP] Re: Hep C

> Hi,
> I am hoping someone out there will have some advice/input on how to
> deal with someone who has type 2 diabetes and Hepatitis C.  I co
> worker just informed me she has Hep. C.  She is a diabetic and has
> tester her sugar at our desk for 5 years.  Since I have a son with
> diabetes she and I have always been close.  She would like to be on
> a pump but has not as of yet investigated it.  Here is my dilemma.
> Does she need to inform our employer.  Should she stop testing at
> work?  What  would be the universal precautions used in this
> situation?  I should also note that we work with  young children.  I
> am torn as her friend and co-worker.  I want to support her but also
> want to be safe for myself as well as the children we work with.  I
> would appreciate any advice.

Check with your local health dept about the precautions to take.
Hep C is not something you should guess about. The bg testing is
another matter. OSHA does not consider bg testing materials to be
hazardous. Presumably your friend is not sharing her lancets or
syringes so it should not really be an issue as long as she disposes
of the waste. If she has a bio-hazard container for her syringes,
then lancets should go in there as well. If she does not have a
bio-hazard container, she can get one at most large pharmacies and
most major medical institutions. The one we have at home we got at
the Children's hospital. Every year or so I take it back to the lab
and they empty if for me. Most cities also have a bio-hazard disposal
protocol for diabetic waste. Call the refuse collection dept and ask
about it.

Michael