[IP] Re: Crack Pot Cures and A1C's

In a message dated 8/5/02 email @ redacted:

<< the periantologist believes it should stay below 5.8 if I want to get
pregnant again <snip> How many can keep the A1C  under 6 without the lows?>>

Well, those people who can stop needing insulin by diet and exercise could
probably keep the A1c under 6 without the lows.  And it's probably easier to
do if you produce even SOME insulin.  But if you are depending exclusively on
exogenous insulin, for many of us it is really, really hard (maybe
impossible? Close to it, anyway).  As someone who tends toward the
obsessive/compulsive about diabetes control (average 10 tests a day, routine
weighing and measuring of food, regular exercise, a lot of knowledge of how
my body works from 47 years of diabetes, nearly 4 on the pump and 14 on MDI
before that), I certainly don't achieve it.  Before pumping, with HA1c under
6 I didn't always wake up in the mornings <gr.>, but with pumping, I have
managed to avoid any lows I couldn't treat myself, and have varied from 4.9 to
 6.1.  But I certainly sometimes have lows that interfere with my
activities/abilities/energy/temperment.  I have no doubt the effort is worth
it for me, just in how I feel, even with the lows <gr.>.  Of course, if I
knew of a better way, I'd take it! <gr.>

Incidentally, people do seem to vary in rate of glycosolation -- a 5.8 for
some people is a different level of control than for others (and, of course,
lab normals vary. too).
And what IS a periantologist? <gr.>

Linda Z