[IP] dad wants to hook himself up

Nancy, if he is the least bit clever and has read about how to set
basals, just set the basals lower than what you think they should be
and when you go a little high, just increase them slowly.  It's easy
to do it yourself if you just use a little common sense.  Bolusing is
the same as he'd be doing already if he's counting carbs.  I did it
and I know many other pumpers who did it themselves, too.  One was
too chicken to tell MM, so she disconnected the day the trainer came
and put on a good show acting like a naive dumb diabetic ;-)  That's
a good way to to circumvent the insurance issues.  Anyway, the bottom
line is that it's not difficult at all, despite what MM says.
Companies also tell you terrible things will happen if you don't wash
your fingers before doing a poke and to discard the lancet after each
use.  And dont' ever reuse a disposable syringe, and discard insulin
28 days after the first withdrawal,   etc.  you get the picture,,,

My father just got his new Minimed pump and was toying with the idea of how to
hook himself up.  (he is a fairly independant and impatient man)  I have been
pumping for 4 years now and I told him that he had better not.   Actually my
exact words were " ha, only if you sign a waver! I have no idea how to figure
what basals you would be on you and we had better not mess with it....wait for
you appointment."

So hears my question to you all......is it possible?  I am not going to tell
him that I asked, but I was just curious if it was possible. Nancy>>>>>>>>>>