Re: [IP] Strength and Volume

On Sat, 03 Aug 2002 18:01:27 -0700 Sue Kinzelman <email @ redacted> wrote
> I've never considered. Aren't they talking volume when you talk about units?
> Do they dilute insulin in order to obtain different strengths? If so aren't
>they referring to a unit of the "solution" which may or may not contain a unit
>of insulin?

Volume and strength are two different physical quantities. As I said before,
a unit of insulin has the **same** effect, no matter what the strength
(U-100 or U-50) is. One unit of U-50 has twice as much volume as one unit of
U-100, but one unit of U-50 will have exactly the same effect on your blood
glucose as one unit of U-100. Yes, the different strengths are obtained by
diluting, usually done by the manufacturer. A "unit of the solution" is not
something that has been defined at all. The only units that have any defined
meaning are the units of insulin.

Back in the 1940s, 1950s, 1960s, and 1970s I used U-40 and U-80 (there was
no U-100 then). I could change from U-40 of a particular type of insulin to
U-80 of the same type of insulin by measuring the same number of units on
the U-80 scale of the syringe as the number of units I had been using on the
U-40 scale. The volume of the dose of U-80 was only half the volume of the
U-40 dose.

Tom Beatson