Re: [IP] Silhouette users

>>>We've been pumping diluted insulin since day 1 (U50) and now are going to
be pumping full strength (U100).  When pumping U50 we primed the canula .40
units.  The pump did the rest of the calculation so we never had to worry
about volume vs. acutual units of insulin, now we do. Well, now we don't
really, except for the prime.  Prime is actual volume where as before, we
only worried about units and the pump always did the calculation.  Now, it
is full strength and the manual says to prime 1
unit, which is more than double the volume of .40 units.  (are you still
with me?)
My question? How much is everyone priming their Silhouette canula's at U100
strength? Susan>>>

I'm *trying* to be with you <VBG> and I do not use a Silhouette, but I think
this is a basic dilemma that I had when they put me on U80 insulin and
dropped the U40. I was disturbed that I was getting *worse* and had to have
double the volume. However, insulin is measured in units - per the strength.
Actually, 12 units of U80 was the same as 12 units of U40 - just half the
amount. Therefore, if you did prime .40u with the U50 diluted insulin, it
now would be .80 (almost 1 unit) because the tubing is the same volume
either strength. This should equal the same amount.

On shots, I had to use a different-scaled syringe to accomodate the proper
measurements. On pumping, nothing really has changed for you, except now the
pump program will be set to U100 delivery instead of U50 delivery.

Do you have a MiniMed? Since the canula length (of Sil) and tubing are
unchanged, perhaps the priming part is just doubled. The units of insulin
for basals/boluses should remain the same *numbers* unless new ones need to
be tweaked due to growth, hormones, etc.

Remember, the reason to dilute to U50 in the first place was to give more
volume to keep the insulin flowing - not to weaken the strength.

I could be completely wrong. Please ask your pump trainer or CDE for the
real *skinny*. (~_^)

I know you believe you understand what you think I wrote, however, I'm not
so sure you realize that what you read is not what I meant