[IP] Re: insulin-pumpers-digest V6 #499

Date: Thu, 1 Aug 2002 21:29:42 -0400
From: "Chris Jones" <email @ redacted>
Subject: [IP] It doesn't look like there is a pump in my future.

I was at Doctor's office yesterday  and discussed a pump with my nurse
practicioner.  She was not particularly gung-ho about the idea.

***that would be my first cue to find a new medical person to go to. the role of medical
people(esp. one who helps you treat a disease that requires management on your end) is to help you
meet the goals you set for you life, and not the goals *they* set. while keeping you on injections
may make their lives easier, you do have the right to have all your options fairly addressed.***

First, I would have to be referred to an endocrinologist which seems to
be a
sticky situation with the office.

***i can understand this-- you asking them for a referral so that you (and your money) can go find
someone else. if you do a little research on the pump-friendly endos in your area before asking
them, then you can give them a name or two for a referral. might make things a little easier.***

Then, I was informed that I would have to test as much if not more when
went to a pump.  (I'm supposed to test 4x a day.  In reality, I test
once a
day and inject 4 -5 times with an average being 40 units)

***this is true. in fact, even before you try making the leap to a pump, i would recommend testing
5X/day (at every meal, and when you wake up and go to bed) just to see how it suits you. it might
not be as bad as you think, esp. with these new arm testing machines out there that may not hurt
so badly.

i know just how you feel-- four months before i went on the pump, i was a 1x/day or less tester
who injected insulin when i felt like it. the inertia is a tremendous thing to overcome, and my
not-pump-friendly doc was not helping by telling me that i could never even consider a pump until
i was a perfect diabetic. when i switched to my current endo, he told me, "let's try you on three
tests a day and lantus and humalog and see how you do." it wasn't easy, but i was encouraged by
the fact that my sugars were a little better and i felt a little more in control. after about
thirty days of this regimen i started testing 5x/day on my own, simply because i found myself
wanting to control my sugars better myself. and i was proud of myself when i could bring in a two
or three week record without too many holes in it =)***

Another    problem was that she said I would have to change sites
other day and for as often as I would have to change, it would be just
easy to inject.

***where did she get this information?? it sounds like she doesn't know too much about the pum and
is just a doomsday person. i don't know you or her but it seems to me like it's time to chuck 'er.
i change my sites every 4 days or so, which is SO much better than the 4-5 shots a day i used to
have to do. in that respect i think it actually takes less motivation to pump that to inject-- you
couldn't PAY me to stab my arms and legs 5x/day now, and i don't know how on earth i went for ten
years doing it. all i can say in this respect is, once non-stab-motivated people like us try
pumping, we generally like it much better.***

Finally, I take Lantus and R insulin.  She seems to think that I am
getting some control lately.

***another key with my new doc was that he rejected all "good/bad" terminology when it came to my
sugars. they weren't a moral issue any longer, just high or low. i think this attitude is key with
all diabetics, pumpers or not. it sounds like your NP is taking the irritating attitude toward
diabetics that so many medical people do, that we are incorrigible children who really don't care
much about our health and that when we're between 70-140, we're "being good" and outside this
range, we're "bad". the day you find a medical person who understands that you are dealing with a
frustrating condition and who respects the fact that you've put up with it this long without dying
or going nuts (regardless of your level of control) is the day you find the right medical person
for you. don't let anyone tell you that managing this is easy, and don't let anyone treat you like
you are a bad person.***

    guess I will be taking it one day at a time for now.

***that is the way to go about it, esp. if you feel frustrated and unmotivated about testing.
there are ways to deal with it and to motivate yourself. if you can afford it, go out and buy a
fun new meter and put the old one in the closet for a while. there are some really cheap ones at
wal-mart, as low as ten bucks. play with it for a while and see if you can get up to testing three
to five times a day. after a couple of days, go back and write them all down and see how you are
doing. take these to your new doctor and ask what he/she thinks.

i wish you the best of luck!

Do You Yahoo!?