Re: [IP] It doesn't look like there is a pump in my future. (long)

>I was at Doctor's office yesterday and discussed a pump with my nurse
>practicioner. She was not particularly gung-ho about the idea.

My doctor was also not gung-ho when I asked about pumping.  He thought I
had GREAT control (A1c's in the 5-range).  *I* knew better and when I did a
log sheet and showed him all the constant highs and lows and bouncing
around I was doing, he became convinced that pumping was a better option
for me.

>  First, I would have to be referred to an endocrinologist which seems to
> be a sticky situation with the office.

I was prepared to switch endos when mine, at first, was not real receptive
to pumping.  And, I would have, had he not changed his mind.

>Then, I was informed that I would have to test as much if not more when I
>went to a pump. (I'm supposed to test 4x a day. In reality, I test once a
>day and inject 4 -5 times with an average being 40 units)

Yes, with pumping you need to test more frequently.  I test 8-10 times per
day, but I was doing that on MDI also, since I had hypo-unawareness and
could be 32 and not be aware of it.  Since pumping, my hypo-awareness has
returned.  I test before and after each meal, at bedtime and when I just
need to be assured everything is ok.

>Another problem was that she said I would have to change sites every other
>day and for as often as I would have to change, it would be just as easy
>to inject.

I change sites twice each week, so each runs about 3 1/2 days.  That seems
to work best for me, I change on Thursday and Sunday each week.  It helps
me to keep the same days so I don't forget.  (Memory is not my best attribute.)

>Finally, I take Lantus and R insulin. She seems to think that I am finally
>getting some control lately. I guess I will be taking it one day at a time
>for now.

If you're happy with Lantus and R, then go for it.  But, don't let the
nurse practitioner's decision be your decision.  Decide what YOU want and
what YOU can live with.  Remember, it's YOUR life, not hers.   For me,
pumping gave me more freedom than I ever imagined.  I had diabetes for 38
years before I started pumping.  For the first time, I can eat or not eat
whenever I feel like it.  That was not possible for me with the NPH (demon
insulin) and R regime that I was on with MDI (Lantus was not available at
that time).  For me, the bad thing about the longer acting insulins is that
my basal rate is not the same all day long.  It ranges from a low of .3
units per hour to .5 units per hour.  While that doesn't sound like a big
difference, if I were getting .5 all day long, there would be periods I
would run lower, or if my long acting insulin was set lower I could have
periods where I would run higher.  The other advantage of pumping for me,
is that when I decide to do some out of the ordinary activity (especially
during vacations) I can adjust the basal on my pump so that I don't have to
eat constantly to keep my bg from going low.  I'm with SSPAZ (Sara Smarty
Pants), when I die they'll have to pry my pump out of my cold, dead
hands.  YMMV.