Re: [IP] Re: diabetes and cancer

In a message dated 8/1/02 9:00:48 AM Eastern Daylight Time, email @ redacted

> I am an optometrist and a type I pumping diabetic.  One of my patients
> works
> in research for type I diabetes and told me that it is rare that type I
> diabetics get cancer.  Does any one else know anything about this?  He said
> that the immune system overcompensates because of the DM.  Any info would
> be
> appreciated.
> Thanks. Maria

You know, my Mom was told this when I was first diagnosed in 1976.  I hadn't
thought about it in a long time until a few weeks ago when it just popped
into my head.  Then I thought I had imagined it but I guess not.  I suppose
in some odd way, they were telling her that to make her feel better about my
having diabetes....like, well at least she isn't very likely to have cancer
in her lifetime.  The thing is, when it comes to things medical, I ALWAYS go
against the statistics :-(