Re: [IP] a1c/highs and lows

>Isn't the A1c only an average of the glycosated hgb so that one person with
>a lot of highs and severe lows may have a lower one than someone who
>consistently has BS's of 150?  That's the way we've always understood it to
>be.  I think what we are trying to say is that we'd rather see someone with
>the steady 150 than with lots of 400's and 20's!

Several years ago i went as far as i could with MDI in trying to get
an A1C under 9.  Here is what i learned about A1C's:

Listen all:

A1C's Are not a measure of control.  Standard Deviation is.

I accomplished an one-time A1C of 6.8!  How?  I offset the daily am
highs (sue to the DP) of 350 to 550 with running hypo most of the
rest of the day.  Thsi is not adequate control.  However my GP and
endo thought this was great control.  they don;t care about the real
measures of control.  teh A1C test can be fudged.
Darrin Parker - Nova Scotia, Canada!
Nine months pumping thanks to the support of wonderful internet
friends & IP.org

Insulin infusion pump has given me better control than I had achieved
in 27 years of MDI!  To date:  50% improvement in average bg's &
fewer hypos.
Pre-pump HeA1c = 9.2.  1st & 2nd post-pump HeA1c = 5.1 &  7.0  (N = 4.3 - 5.8).